ALL ABOUT PEPPERMINT
Peppermint essential oil provides a familiar, recognizable scent, but Peppermint is so much more than just a nostalgic, fresh aroma. This oil can be diffused to create a stimulating, focused atmosphere for daily tasks. You can also apply it topically to create a cool, tingling sensation on the skin, which can be very soothing after hard physical activity. We recommend using Peppermint essential oil aromatically or topically anytime you want to add a pleasant variety to your routine!
FEATURES & BENEFITS
Cools fatigued muscles after physical activity
Produces a focused environment when diffused
Provides a refreshing experience when mixed with your favorite shampoo or when applied to skin after a warm day in the sun
Creates an invigorating and refreshing experience when inhaled
From the bottle: Refreshing, cool, minty, herbal aroma.
Diffuse Peppermint while working or around kids while doing their homework for an environment that is focused and energized.
Add Peppermint to hot bathwater and enjoy the revitalizing scent and soothing aromatic steam.
Inhale or apply it to your chest before and during a tough workout for a stimulating scent.
Apply it topically to fatigued areas following physical activity for a cooling sensation.
WHERE TO DIFFUSE
Put focus first in study areas with this crisp, cool aroma.
Wake up shared family spaces first thing in the morning by infusing them with this icy scent.
Refresh your cooldown space after a vigorous workout with its chilling fragrance.
Peppermint essential oil has an invigorating aroma that can help create a focused environment when diffused and can create a cooling sensation when applied topically, especially after physical activity.
Topical: Dilute 1 drop with 4 drops of V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex or olive oil. Test on a small area of skin on the underside of your arm and apply to desired area as needed.
Aromatic: Diffuse up to 10 minutes 3 times daily.
4 drops Stress Away™
3 drops Christmas Spirit™
3 drops Peppermint
3 P.M. Pick-Me-Up
4 drops Peppermint
6 drops Orange
Peppermint is originally from Europe, but 75 percent of the world’s supply is now grown in the United States. To produce one of Young Living’s most popular oils, we look to several farms, including the Young Living Lavender Farm and Distillery in Mona, Utah.
One 15 ml bottle of Peppermint essential oil is created by steam distilling 1 pound of the leaves and flowering tops of the peppermint plant. Peppermint is a key ingredient in PanAway®, Cool Azul® Pain Relief Cream, and Deep Relief™ Roll-On.
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Mentha piperita
BOTANICAL FAMILY: Lamiaceae
REGIONS FOUND: North America, Mediterranean area, Great Britain
PLANT PART USED: Leaves and stems
EXTRACTION METHOD: Steam distilled
YL REGION: The majority of Young Living Peppermint essential oil comes from the U.S.
Peppermint essential oil joined the Young Living family in 1994.
What is Peppermint oil used for?
According to National Center for Complimentary and integrated Health, peppermint is used as a dietary supplement for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), other digestive problems, the common cold, headaches, and other conditions. Peppermint oil is also used topically (applied to the skin) for headache, muscle aches, itching, and other problems.
Peppermint oil has been studied most extensively for IBS. Results from several studies indicate that peppermint oil in enteric-coated capsules may improve IBS symptoms.
A few studies have indicated that peppermint oil, in combination with caraway oil, may help relieve indigestion, but this evidence is preliminary and the product that was tested is not available in the United States.
Peppermint oil has been used topically for tension headaches and a limited amount of evidence suggests that it might be helpful for this purpose.
There’s not enough evidence to allow any conclusions to be reached about whether peppermint oil is helpful for nausea, the common cold, or other conditions.
Mint has been used for health purposes for several thousand years. It is mentioned in records from ancient Greece, Rome, and Egypt. However, peppermint was not recognized as a distinct kind of mint until the 1700s.
20 fresh uses for Peppermint
1. Chill out after a long day. Dilute 1 drop of Peppermint with 4 drops of V-6™ or another carrier oil; then rub on the temples, forehead, and back of the neck. Be careful to avoid your eyes! You’ll feel a soothing, cooling sensation, courtesy of the constituents menthol and menthyl acetate.
YL tip: Can you put Peppermint oil directly on the skin?
Peppermint is a “hot” oil, which means it creates a warming sensation on the skin when it’s applied undiluted. We recommend starting out using Peppermint diluted 1:4 with a carrier oil. If you want to use it undiluted, do a patch test of 1 drop to see how it feels on your skin. If you experience a reaction to the oil, dilute the oil with a 1:4 ratio of carrier oil and try another patch test.
2. Soothe sun-kissed skin. Cool skin after a day in the sun by adding a few drops each of Peppermint and Lavender to aloe vera gel.
3. Freshen carpets. Make a carpet powder with 1 cup of baking soda and 20-30 drops of essential oil. We love the purifying scent of Kunzea with Peppermint’s bright aroma.
4. Add Cool Azul™ to your cool-down. Peppermint is a main ingredient in the Cool Azul line of products! Massage tired muscles with Cool Azul Sports Gel after a tough workout.
5. Find your focus. Fill your office or study space with energizing aromas by diffusing this blend when it’s time to buckle down on a project.
6. Refresh while you rehydrate. Add a few drops of Peppermint Vitality™ to your water bottle for an extra refreshing zing. We recommend 1-2 drops for every 16 ounces of water.
YL tip: Can you drink Peppermint oil in your water?
Peppermint Vitality™ is labeled for internal use, so it is a great addition to your daily water intake.
7. Sweeten your breath. Put a drop of Peppermint Vitality™ on your tongue to freshen your breath and get rid of any trace of those garlic-flavored kale chips you ate with lunch!
8. Find balance. Diffuse this grounding blend whenever your mind needs clarity, such as during moments of spiritual study or meditation.
9. Stimulate your scalp. Add 3 drops of Peppermint to your shampoo in the morning and massage into your scalp for 2 minutes for a brisk way to start the day.
10. Remix your favorite recipes. Use Peppermint Vitality™to add a refreshing twist to a pitcher of lemonade.
YL tip: Check out our recipe ideas for more ways to use this fresh-tasting oil!
11. Soak in the sweet aroma. Add 5 drops of Peppermint directly to bathwater and enjoy an invigorating soak.
12. Support digestion. Add a drop or two of Peppermint Vitality™ to a mug of hot tea to help with gastrointestinal discomfort. Peppermint Vitality can support normal digestion and reduce feelings of discomfort after large meals.*
13. Take it on the go. Pack Deep Relief™ Roll-On in your purse for some simple self-care on the go. Our pal Peppermint is the main ingredient and contributes to the cooling sensation!
14. Create a cooling chest rub. Mix a drop of Peppermint with a small amount of V-6 and rub it onto your chest for a cooling sensation and fresh fragrance.
15. Cool off on a hot day. When the temperature’s climbing and you feel like melted ice cream on a hot sidewalk, add two drops of Peppermint to a cold, damp washcloth. It’s perfect for the back of your neck, your forehead, or your chest.
16. Refresh musty rooms. Invite a fresh aroma into your home with a breezy diffuser blend.
17. Turn sweets into something special. Infuse your baked goods with drop of Peppermint Vitality™!
18. Freshen funky workout gear. Smelly gym bag or stinky shoes? Mix 2 ounces of water and 6 drops of Peppermint in a spray bottle to freshen it up! Add Purification® or Lemon for an extra boost of freshness.
19. Shake up your morning shower. Put 2 drops of Peppermint and 2 drops of Eucalyptus Radiata on a washcloth and put it on the shower floor just out of the direct stream of water. The steam will surround you with an invigorating aroma!
20. Breathe in the aroma straight from the bottle. Whatever less-than-amazing smells you’re faced with, just open your trusty bottle of Peppermint and take a deep breath. The chilly aroma will chase away almost any unpleasant scent.